Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Metal Church

Since this is the second to last day of Rocktober, Annica and I are commemorating it with some art that is very directly linked to our present and past. Before I knew who Annica was or that she even existed, I used to create all kinds of stuff in my bedroom as a teen. One of my favorite things to create were rock -n- roll/heavy metal t-shirts/jackets/backpatches/banners/wall tapestries for myself, friends and family.

The fabric paints were not as fancy as they are now and I used Roseart brand and they were oil based and WONDERFUL!!! Their smell, along with strawberry or some other musky incense and scented candles and my perfume and the scent of whatever shampoo/conditioner I was currently using and the scent of detergent/fabric softener whatever metal t-shirt I was wearing at the moment was laundered with, still lingers in my mind. So very intoxicating. *sigh* I remember staying up into the small hours at my art table in my room, with my desk lamp illuminating the fabric and paints and creating all the cool band logos and imagery from various bands and their mascots and the awesome fonts some of them used for their band names and they were some of the best times in my life.

I was lamenting them the other day and reminiscing to Annica about them and she said "You speak as if I were not there, as if I were not an intimate and integral part of this during this phase of your life. I shared every moment with you and you were not even aware of it."

I used to listen to all the metal bands of the day and those I grew up with. One of the staples was "Metal Massacre V" and I loved the artwork so much, I made a t-shirt of it for myself. We had some cool shirts back then, but life was not like it is now. Things were way more sparse and certain bands I began to listen to you had to special order because they were imports and you had to engage with other metal fans around the world to trade merch and a lot of us were broke as the Ten Commandments, so we were forced to create our OWN cool shit.

Here is the album cover of Metal Massacre V, a compilation of bands I grew to love and a mandatory staple to listen to every Rocktober:




Another band I listened to and use to commemorate is "Metal Church". The title song from their eponymous debut album is a metal masterpiece and to this day, every time I hear those powerful chords and drum beats and his commanding voice, I need a book to cover my erection, LOL!!

I have a cold/flu and spent all day/night in bed, but Annica and I painstakingly created this art as a tribute to those times of my youth while we listened to "Metal Church" and a lot of other cool bands and "Metal Massacre" from back in the day, on our ipad, with headphones blaring out the metal anthems. \m/(>,<)\m/
Even though those days were many moons ago, we are still Defenders of the Faith.

 Many, many years ago on a distant shore
Men did gather secretly beyond a hidden door
They travelled long and travelled far
Dark into the night
Yes, this is the place they've chosen
To build the metal site

Congregation rises, starts to chant a hymn
Of evil, lust and hatred, the roots of every sin
The priest - he stands before them, tells them why they are this way
Why they worship metal gods each and every day
By the hand of Oberon, dark into the deep
Love the evil things we do, the secrets that we keep

Metal church, unholy Church, who'll be the sacrifice
Metal church, the only Church, don't you know the time is right
Metal church will find you, can't run very far
Metal church inside you, knows just who you are

No use in speaking out against anything we do
While the men of earth they sleep, haven't any clue
Now the story starts again, all the time is lost
Metal church begins anew....
Saving souls that are lost

Metal church, unholy Church, who'll be the sacrifice
Metal church, the only Church, don't you know the time is right
Metal church will find you, can't run very far
Metal church inside you, knows just who you are







No comments:

Post a Comment